Friday, July 21, 2006

Camping again

Well I got one step closer to being one of those wilderness chicks that I so admire. On Wednesday night we dropped the kids and dogs with my parents and went camping. Unfortunately, due to car troubles we didn't get to the put in until 8PM giving us only an hour to unload, canoe around the lake and find a campsite, then set up, before it got dark.

We managed, barely. We arrived at the put in to Big East Lake only to find the parkinglot full....and since I knew there weren't many campsites, and all of which were at least 1/2 hour paddle away, we decided to try the smaller lake across the highway...Bentshoe. At the end of the lake we found a great campsite (or it would have been if previous occupants hadn't left garbage and about 4 cases of empty beer bottles.) Our dinner was cooked in pitch black (thought thank goodness we remembered that we'd forgot to pack a flashlight and bought a new one on the way there!) Steak for Chris, pork chop for me and beans. Yum. Then we went out to this little rocky spit and layed down to look at the stars. (after rescuing our sleeping bag from the lake since it had sort of rolled away once it got set down.)

Ok, so I admit I was awake half the night listening for the sound of a bear lumbering through the underbrush. Lucky for me the night was full of the sound of bullfrogs and loons (though I gotta say, it did sound like about a dozen loons were being attacked on Big East)

I got up early and decided to brave the bathroom...(a wooden box with a hole cut in the top.....) then took the camera out and got some pictures while Chris was still asleep. We ate our breakfast on the rock where we'd watched the stars the night before then packed up.

Was it the backwoods experience I was hoping for? Not really. The garbage left on the site, the herds of girl guides (or whatever) tromping through the nearby portage into Poker Lake (did you know that aluminum canoes bouncing off rocks sounds a lot like the tail gate of a dumptruck slamming shut?), and the highway sounds sort of took away from that, but it was still a blast. Next time we'll get there earlier and portage into the other lakes where hopefully it will be less noisy.

Now...back to work I go! Much writing to do!

Jennie

No comments: