Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Criminalists in training

In preparing for a new series I'm planning, I've been watching a ton of CSI reruns which has totally annoyed my kids. Usually they groan and complain when I changed the channel but the other night they decided to imitate what I was watching.

My 5 year old daughter was the CSI. She took a pair of plastic tweezers from her fisher price doctor kit and collected evidence (mostly her socks, a wrapper from a rice crispie square, and other bits. Then she took them to the "lab" where my 2 year old son would analyze them for blood spatter, while he ran finger prints on their ibook. They also ran DNA tests using plastic cups and the syringe thingie that came with the doctor kit.

I'm totally into encouraging creativity so I went looking for toy CSI kits...well I found some but they were for ages 10 and up. After thinking for a minute I realized I could probably make them each one with stuff from the dollar store and makeup section of Zellars. So here's my plan:

small metal make up cases
q-tips
pimple pads for GSR testing
flashlight
pressed powder brushes for dusting for prints
magnifying glass
note pads
rubber gloves
camera
little squirt bottles

The oldest wants a microscope but those all say ages 8 and up so I don't know if I'll go that far. We'll have to see what we can find.

No comments: