I know it shouldn't be possible, but yes, I did indeed ignite a bag of microwave popcorn yesterday and the house still stinks. See, it was one of those little packages, single serving size. Normally I'd stand there and watch it, after simply pushing the popcorn button, but I looked on the directions and it said 3 minutes. So I put it on and went to put on Ice Age 2 for the kids...yes I should have watched it...but Mr. reddibacher has never steered me wrong in the past. Well the kitchen was so thick with smoke I couldn't see, my eyes burned for hours and the inside of the microwave was black with soot. Inside the bag was a glob of blackened goo which nobody could have mistaken for popcorn.
I think I'll stick with the normal size bags from now on. At least I know the popcorn button cooks them perfectly every time.