Saturday, August 02, 2008

My Brain Hurts

Okay, so had forgotten just how hard it is to be in school. After a week of sitting in a room full of artsty people who could all wax poetic about the latest Oprah Book Club selection, I wasn't sure if I should make a run for it. But the class, and all the students were awesome.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of travel writing since my ill fated year in college studying Travel and Tourism, and when my mum signed me up for it I thought I'd be lost because I've never gone anywhere. In a way, I was lost. Everyone else seemed to be well travelled, from India to China to well pretty much everywhere, but I did learn a lot. First and foremost, I learned that pretty much every experience can be turned into an article if you put yourself into the midset to view things a certain way. There are sooooooo many magazines out there, and there's a good chance one of them will be interested in your story.

Apart from the mechanics of writing for magazines, query letters, marketing and the rest, I learned it isn't quite as daunting as I'd thought. The teacher, Kate Pocock, is both a writer and an editor, and she didn't have horns or growl. She told us a lot of things from the editors point of view as well as from the writers, and it helped to reduce the anxiety of sending a query to a big magazine.

Will I attempt to write travel articles? Probably. Did I have fun? Yes! I'm already planning what writing courses to take next year. The Haliburton School of the Arts is being asked to include more writing and photography courses. When next years course guide comes out I'll post the selections.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Hey Jen, I travel a lot, maybe i could tell you about my trips and you could write an article about them... then again... mine are all business trips, so i doubt you could make an article about the inside of a Hilton conference room...

Cheers

Jer