Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Post Christmas exhaustion

Compared to usual, it wasn't a crazy, chaotic Christmas. We didn't have to cram all our visiting into one day, and managed to get it all done without having to post pone anything due to illnesses. (One year we didn't see my grandparents until February.) Both of our days of traveling were capped by really treacherous drives home (finally got the damn snow the kids had been asking for).

I had set only a few Christmas goals this year -
1. make figgy pudding. CHECK! It was actually pretty good. Kind of like carrot cake.
2. remember to give out pictures of the kids from school. Almost got this one. I forgot to take some to my grandparents but I'll be going back up there in a few days.
3. Don't make so much baked goods that it all goes to waste. CHECK I didn't actually bake much this year, so this wasn't an issue. There just wasn't time. Last year I spent a whole day making half a dozen different types of cookies, 4 types of brownies as well as little tarts and squares. Then realized only a few of each kind would fit in the tins I'd bought, so I had dozens of everything left over. I froze some, pigged out big time, and ended up throwing a lot of it away.

But now that the main rush of the holidays are over, it's time for the dreaded new years resolutions. As I type this, I'm surrounded by candy (turtles, dark chocolate mint truffle kisses, a few donuts and some jam tarts) so I'm thinking eat healthier should be on the list. Maybe a bit of exercise wouldn't hurt either. Actually, I hope to improve the strength of the muscle around my knees so I can manage the hikes when we go camping without wanting to throw myself off a cliff.

On the writing front, yeah big time plans there. I have at least 4 more stories I want to write for the Tiara Islands Inn series, plus several stories that fit in the Highlands Hills town where the Inn is located. Let's not forget the Dragons that have been giving me guilt trips now for 5 years. So much writing to do! I also want to commit to actually doing a monthly newsletter this year, having monthly giveaways, creating better promotion methods, and being more active in the social aspect of writing.

And keeping my desk clean is pretty big too.

What are your resolutions for the new year?


No comments: